My name is Tracy Norred and I am an Orange County Photographer. I specialize in capturing real moments between families. I absolutely love getting to know my families, and watching children grow over time. It is a joy to capture happy moments.

I'm a mom myself, and the best way to get information is to contact me by email. I'd love to give you more information & find out if I'm the right fit for your family!
Follow Me!

Monday, August 11, 2008

Opening up

It's hard for me to be a vulnerable blogger. I want to express myself. I want to be informal. I want to be honest. But, I am afraid that if I show too much uncertainty, people won't want to hire me.

Ten minutes pass by. What do I say??

I am so grateful for the photographers who have "gotten there." I am grateful that they tell their stories. I am uplifted by reading their blogs from their early days. They were where I am now. The photographers I follow are all my age. How are they so far ahead of me? I sometimes wonder. Will I ever catch up? Deep in my heart, I know that it's not about that. I simply took a different path. After college, I spent 5 years doing background investigations for a government contractor. That field wasn't exactly conducive to creativity. After I quit in May 2007, I started my business. Why didn't I start doing weddings a year ago? I would be so much further ahead today. I kick myself for all the money and time I spent moving in the wrong direction. Deep in my heart, I know it wasn't the wrong direction. I needed that last year to become a better photographer. A Photographer. My skills have improved dramatically. Overly simplified: I went from Auto to Manual.

I'm mostly a one-woman-show. I have taught myself a lot by practice and long hours on the internet. Every now and then I find a site or a person who is willing to open up about how they got where they are to day. They save me from reinventing a few wheels. I was at Barnes & Noble yesterday, and found Anne Geddes' "Labor of Love: An Autobiography" on the sale rack. Look at how thick this book is! It's normally $50, but was just waiting for me on the sale rack at $12.98! I am ready to dive into the book this afternoon, Diet Cherry 7up in hand!
Ten more minutes pass by. I read early blogs from some of my favorite photographers for inspiration.

Here's the thing. I don't know how it will happen, but I know it will happen. As Dr Martin Luther King said, "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." That's what I'm doing. I don't know how it will happen, but I know that it will, and it must. No doubt.

5 comments:

the mangiafico family said...

you WILL be successful! have the faith! =)

Tracy (Serendipity Images) said...

Thank you Allison! Your support and comments mean SO much to me! =)

Anonymous said...

oh tracy, this blog entry hit home for me. know that you have amazing friends here to support you..i heard this quote one time and i didnt fully grasp its integrity until my industry took a dive: "always let your ambition far exceed your talent.." i now understand that its the difficult times like these that your energy must drive you and once you arrive, your talent will then take over....i love you trace!
keep up your amazing work!

always, jena

Tracy (Serendipity Images) said...

Jena - What a perfect quote! It's so easy to think that it's the other way around - that talent alone should be enough. Thank you for being such an amazing friend. You've always been there to support my business 100%, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that! Mwah! Tracy

Charlotte Wedding Photographer - The Schultzes said...

Hey girl - just wanted to let you know that you are awesome and to keep up the great work....we'll both get there! :)

Also, I wanted to pass along a great online forum that is specific to wedding photographers in case you hadn't heard of it yet - http://www.opensourcephoto.net/forum/index.php?

Definitely check it out - I was on it for hours upon end when I first discovered it!

:)

The images on this blog are the sole property of Tracy Norred and may not be printed without permission. However, you are welcome to include them on your own personal web sites (ie. MySpace, Facebook, or blogs) as long as you keep the Serendipity Images logo on the image. Please also provide a link back to SerendipityImages.net. Thank you for your cooperation!

Wedding Photography


© 2008-2012 Tracy Norred