My name is Tracy Norred and I am an Orange County Photographer. I specialize in capturing real moments between families. I absolutely love getting to know my families, and watching children grow over time. It is a joy to capture happy moments.

I'm a mom myself, and the best way to get information is to contact me by email. I'd love to give you more information & find out if I'm the right fit for your family!
Follow Me!

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Tuesday Tip #4-5

I've been a bad blogger over the last few weeks.  It's been a crazy month, and I can hardly believe that Christmas is only a few days away.  Here's a taste of what I've been up to: yesterday I did my hospital baby photography side-job, hit up Borders for their closing sale (at the Costa Mesa location), pleaded with Santa for this and that, went to my in-laws house, watched "New Moon," and picked up my sister-in-law from LAX.  LAX traffic, by the way, was ridiculous!  Now I know why I never travel during the holidays, well that and because all of our immediate family lives locally! :)  Oh, and if you're wondering, I'm Team Jakeward.  I used to be Team Edward, but partially defected during "New Moon," and am now on both teams (thanks to my cousin Cyndi for the new team name!).

Since Christmas is coming in a few days, I'm going to double up on tips this week:

Tuesday Tip #4: Photograph candid moments (or moment that look candid)

On Saturday, we were at a family Christmas party, and my mom made a suggestion for my next Tuesday Tip.  She suggested - and I agree - that you photograph people when they are doing something, or at least when they are pretending to do something.  Many adults freeze up in front of the camera and end up with a forced smile that does not look natural.  Kids, on the other hand, tend to give a GIANT smile when the camera comes out.  If you can photograph people without them knowing, or at least while they pretend to do something (stir cookie batter, read a book, whatever), it will look much more natural.

My mom is one of the 'freeze when you smile for the camera' people, and here is a picture I took of her pretending to listen to the UN translator earpiece during our trip to New York last June.


Tuesday Tip #5: Turn off your flash

Flash has it's purpose.  It can be important for illuminating people or objects in a dark room, or for illuminating a person against a bright sky.  The problem is that the flash on "point and shoot" cameras is small and shoots straight forward.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone try to photograph a person behind a bouquet of flowers, and the flowers look white because they've been blown out by the flash, while the person is still dark.  I often bounce my flash off the ceiling or walls, but since this isn't something you can do with a compact camera, I suggest learning how to turn your flash off. 

If you're turning your flash off, you'll probably want to lower your shutter speed or increase the ISO of your camera (if your camera offers that).  ISO determines how sensitive your camera is to light; the larger the number, the more light it lets in, but also the grainier your picture gets.  The lower your shutter speed, the more light will get in, but the more blurry your picture can get from your or your subject's movement.  You'll want to make sure you you hold really still if you lower the shutter speed; sometimes you can brace yourself or your camera against a wall, tree, or table when you're taking pictures at slow shutter speeds.

Sometimes using flash is your best option, but your result can be much more natural and artistic without it. Without the flash, the picture can have more depth because the shadowing and natural/ambient light help to shape the person.  Turning the flash off also helps prevents that nasty red-eye effect!

Please please please don't try this for the first time on an important shot!  It will probably take a lot of practice and understanding of exposure to get good at this! :)

Here's an example from Sharon and Jake's wedding reception.  Using a flash would have absolutely ruined this picture.  It would have made the people standing closest to me be really bright.  The bright guests in the foreground would have distracting from the boys making shadow animals in front of the slideshow, if the slideshow was visible at all!

(This image was take at f/1.4, 1/40th of a second, ISO 800)


Happy Shooting! :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great tips as usual! :-)

Tracy (Serendipity Images) said...

Thanks Heather! :)

The images on this blog are the sole property of Tracy Norred and may not be printed without permission. However, you are welcome to include them on your own personal web sites (ie. MySpace, Facebook, or blogs) as long as you keep the Serendipity Images logo on the image. Please also provide a link back to SerendipityImages.net. Thank you for your cooperation!

Wedding Photography


© 2008-2012 Tracy Norred